Recently posted quotes:

"There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress." Mark Twain (1835-1910)

“Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.” -Will Rogers (1879-1935)

"Stability in government is essential to national character and to the advantages annexed to it." -James Madison (1751-1836)

"Liberty must at all hazards be supported." -John Adams (1735-1826)


Friday, November 19, 2010

Frustration of becoming a Writer-Author – NOT!

I spend a good deal of time on the websites Writer’s Digest Community or Writer’s Market and in groups titled: Nonfiction, Memoir, How to Improve your Blog for FREE, Self-Publishing. Additionally taking in the innumerable Blogs that offer input on:

- How to get your book published

- How to write a query

- How to write a proposal

- Etc.

This has brought me to the conclusion that there is no right way to do any of this. If you search even the minimum amount of time, you will find conflicting opinions on any subject out there. It doesn’t take long.

In addition, EVERYBODY seems to think they are an EXPERT. I do mean everybody. Just take a look. You can not escape it.

I have probably downloaded and subsequently studied, I’m not kidding you, 50 gig of files describing the very best way to get published. One could spend the rest of their life studying how just to accomplish this feat.

So what’s a guy to do?

It seems to me the best solution is to write every day and when you have accomplished that; start writing more every day. Next you have to edit your work every day and then edit it more; trying to make it the best you can make it. There seems to be one object lesson that not one shies away from: “If it is good, they will buy!”

I sent out many queries, most prior to finishing (what I thought was finished) my project and did not receive one valuable response. I wasn’t ready and neither was my project. I have now self-determined that it was no way near ready and still isn’t. I learn more every day on the route that I should take to make the work better. Most of this knowledge comes from listening to what others say and deciding whether their thoughts are worthwhile.

I will continue to work on improving my craft. This I have decided after looking back over my career and realizing that I continually improved my former craft constantly through out my entire career. I didn’t get to be good at what I did right away; it took years of getting better all the time.

I don’t have years to accomplish this new craft but I have time to make it better. There is always time to do something right!

No comments:

Post a Comment