Recently posted quotes:

"There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress." Mark Twain (1835-1910)

“Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.” -Will Rogers (1879-1935)

"Stability in government is essential to national character and to the advantages annexed to it." -James Madison (1751-1836)

"Liberty must at all hazards be supported." -John Adams (1735-1826)


Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Roger Clemens and the MLB Hall of Fame

There has been a lot of talk around the Austin area about how poor Roger is getting a raw deal. I don’t buy it for one minute. I have no proof, never will. I also don’t have a vote, but if I did – there would be no Roger Clemens voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. There also wouldn’t be any other “steroid period” (drug period) player voted into the Hall of Fame. They do not belong – just my opinion for what it is worth.

I visited the MLB Hall of Fame website and extracted the names of those players (players only) that have been inducted into the Hall since I saw my first major League Baseball game in the summer of 1951. I made careful study of those elected to the hall since that time. I could not find a druggy among them. Some were confirmed boozers and some probably worse. After all they had a lot to live up to in order to match or better the inaugural class (Ruth and the like).

As far as I can determine the “steroid period” (drugged period) player has stolen our pastime from us with falsely obtained records and performances. They were not real. There is a big bunch of them that would have most likely made the Hall on their own un-enhanced performance had they not have chosen the route they took; but that is no longer in question.

I counted, through the 2010 class of inductees forty-eight (48) members that I personally, with my on eyes, have seen play and not one of these guys deserves to be in the same lot with any one of the “steroid period” (drug period) players.

That’s my take. You are welcome to your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment